In 1948, three men – Tom Craston, Alan Mackill and Major Gray – had a dream to build a theatre in their local district. An Inaugural Meeting was called on 11th November 1948, where Tom Craston explained, to quote the minute:
In view of the growth of Drama and the potential that a Company of Players be formed in the District, and that Giffnock should be chosen as the most central point. The final end in view is the erection of a building which would be a Community Centre with Theatre and Rooms
They started a dramatic club the following year, and in April 1949 constituted the Giffnock Theatre Players at an Extraordinary General Meeting. The vision was reported in the Evening Times, and boasted the “ultimate aim [of building] an adequate theatre providing a weekly or fortnightly reporty”. The first production was Grand National Night by Dorothy and Campbell Christie, directed by Alan Mackill.